Review: Noun, Adjective and Adverb Clauses
See if you can determine the function of the highlighted dependent clause in each of the following sentences.
- Some people buy expensive cars simply because they can.
- Many people hope that Canada can eliminate its deficit.
- The division chiefs need to know what they should do.
- Which one is the person who stole your car?
- Wherever there is a large North American city, there is poverty.
- The books that the course instructor assigned were very useful.
- Canada might give up its marketing boards if other countries give up their grain subsidies.
- That is the place where Wolfe’s and Montcalm’s armies fought.
- Unless the Crown can make a better case, the accused will not be convicted.
- It is important to ask whether dress is formal or semi-formal.
Copyright notice for HyperGrammar 2
© Department of English, Faculty of Arts, University of Ottawa
A tool made available online by the Translation Bureau, Public Services and Procurement Canada