Main page content
The word group teacher both students and is not a phrase because the words have no grammatical relationship to one another. Similarly, bay the across is not a phrase. In both cases, the words need to be rearranged in order to create phrases. The word groups both teachers and students and across the bay are both phrases.
The highlighted words in each of the following sentences make up a phrase:
- Joe bought some spinach when he went to the corner store.
- Lightning flashed brightly in the night sky.
- They heard high-pitched cries in the middle of the night.
- In early October, Giselle planted twenty tulip bulbs; unfortunately, squirrels ate the bulbs and none bloomed.
- Small children often insist that they can do things by themselves.
Copyright notice for HyperGrammar 2
© Department of English, Faculty of Arts, University of Ottawa
A tool made available online by the Translation Bureau, Public Services and Procurement Canada