opposite from, opposite of, opposite to
As a noun, opposite may stand alone or be followed by the preposition of.
- Madeleine believes just the opposite!
- What is the opposite of up?
As an adjective, opposite may stand alone or be followed by the preposition to or occasionally from.
- The cars were travelling in opposite directions when the accident occurred.
- Hyacinth’s opinions are often opposite to Pierre’s.
- Keith’s cottage is on the same lake but on the opposite side from (or to) ours.
Opposite may also function as a preposition. The preposition opposite should not be followed by of or to.
- Jean-Luc lives in the house opposite ours.
- Two dozen condos will be built opposite the theatre (not opposite of the theatre or opposite to the theatre).
Copyright notice for Writing Tips Plus
© His Majesty the King in Right of Canada, represented by the Minister of Public Services and Procurement
A tool created and made available online by the Translation Bureau, Public Services and Procurement Canada