beyond the realm of possibility
To write clearly and concisely, use the adjective impossible instead of the wordy expression beyond the realm of possibility. Other choices include inconceivable, unimaginable or unthinkable.
- Wordy: Preventing polio seemed beyond the realm of possibility in the 1940s.
- Concise: Preventing polio seemed impossible in the 1940s.
- Wordy: Space travel once seemed beyond the realm of possibility.
- Concise: Space travel once seemed inconceivable.
- Wordy: It is beyond the realm of possibility that John is guilty.
- Concise: It is unimaginable (or unthinkable) that John is guilty.
Copyright notice for Writing Tips Plus
© His Majesty the King in Right of Canada, represented by the Minister of Public Services and Procurement
A tool created and made available online by the Translation Bureau, Public Services and Procurement Canada
Search by related themes
Want to learn more about a theme discussed on this page? Click on a link below to see all the pages on the Language Portal of Canada that relate to the theme you selected. The search results will be displayed in Language Navigator.
- Date modified: