The ampersand (&) should be used only when it forms part of a corporate name:
- The publisher was Ginn & Co.
- The case is being defended by Collins, Smith, White & Jones.
Do not use the ampersand in the legal or applied titles of federal departments:
- The Department of Public Services and Procurement
- Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
- The Department of Public Services & Procurement
- Indigenous & Northern Affairs Canada
Copyright notice for Writing Tips Plus
© Her Majesty the Queen in Right of Canada, represented by the Minister of Public Services and Procurement
A tool created and made available online by the Translation Bureau, Public Services and Procurement Canada
Search by related themes
Want to learn more about a theme discussed on this page? Click on a link below to see all the pages on the Language Portal of Canada that relate to the theme you selected. The search results will be displayed in Language Navigator.