The spelling manoeuvre is preferred in Canada and Britain, while maneuver prevails in the United States. Note that the last e is dropped in these combined forms—manoeuvring, manoeuvrable and manoeuvrability. The preposition around is often employed with the verb manoeuvre.
- The archeologists had to manoeuvre carefully to avoid damaging the architectural relics.
- The crowd cheered as the pilot manoeuvred the first ship into the harbour.
- Charlene manoeuvres around the defence to score the winning goal.
- With careful manoeuvring, Stan was soon in line for a promotion.
- The new tires improved manoeuvrability on the snowy road.
- To practise manoeuvring the puck, Souleymane plays hockey at the outdoor rink in his neighbourhood.
Copyright notice for Writing Tips Plus
© His Majesty the King in Right of Canada, represented by the Minister of Public Services and Procurement
A tool created and made available online by the Translation Bureau, Public Services and Procurement Canada
Want to learn more about a theme discussed on this page? Click on a link below to see all the pages on the Language Portal of Canada that relate to the theme you selected. The search results will be displayed in Language Navigator.