period of time, time period
Period of time and time period are idiomatic expressions.
- The auditor examined the company’s receipts and expenditures over a lengthy period of time.
- This introductory course examines European history by time period.
However, where possible, write concisely by replacing these phrases with period or time.
- The geologist studied the period between the last two ice ages.
- The change of seasons divides the year into four periods (not time periods).
- The Depression was a very difficult time (or period) for many people.
Copyright notice for Writing Tips Plus
© His Majesty the King in Right of Canada, represented by the Minister of Public Services and Procurement
A tool created and made available online by the Translation Bureau, Public Services and Procurement Canada
Search by related themes
Want to learn more about a theme discussed on this page? Click on a link below to see all the pages on the Language Portal of Canada that relate to the theme you selected. The search results will be displayed in Language Navigator.
- Date modified: