Occur tends to be overused and can be replaced by more precise synonyms such as be, ensue, exist, find, happen or take place.
- This mineral occurs (is found, is present) only in glacial formations.
- When did the accident occur (happen)?
Occurred, occurrence and occurring are spelled with a double r.
- It occurred to Randy that they would miss the ferry if they didn’t hurry.
- There have been many strange occurrences on Citadel Hill.
- Here are the events occurring (taking place) in the Chilliwack Landing Leisure Centre this fall.
Copyright notice for Writing Tips Plus
© His Majesty the King in Right of Canada, represented by the Minister of Public Services and Procurement
A tool created and made available online by the Translation Bureau, Public Services and Procurement Canada