Write the noun regard in the singular in the phrases in regard to and with regard to.
- The store has called in regard to (not in regards to) the missing hot tub.
- With regard to (not with regards to) my recent accident in the hot tub, I have completely recovered.
The final s is correct only in the phrase as regards, where regards is a verb.
- As regards the hot tub, I’m making a planter out of it!
Note: In regard to, with regard to and as regards are wordy phrases. Instead, to communicate clearly and effectively, use about, as for, concerning or regarding, or rewrite the sentence.
- The store has called about (or concerning or regarding) the missing hot tub.
- I have completely recovered from my recent accident in the hot tub.
- As for the hot tub, I’m making a planter out of it!
- I’m making a planter out of the hot tub!
Copyright notice for Writing Tips Plus
© His Majesty the King in Right of Canada, represented by the Minister of Public Services and Procurement
A tool created and made available online by the Translation Bureau, Public Services and Procurement Canada
Want to learn more about a theme discussed on this page? Click on a link below to see all the pages on the Language Portal of Canada that relate to the theme you selected. The search results will be displayed in Language Navigator.