Forward is an adverb, an adjective, a verb and a noun.
- Please step forward when your name is called. [adverb]
- Without reverse gear, we are limited to a forward motion. [adjective]
- I will forward that email immediately. [verb]
- In hockey, soccer and football a forward plays on the front line. [noun]
Forwards is a variant form of the adverb and is becoming rare.
- She rocked gently backwards and forwards (or backward and forward).
Copyright notice for Writing Tips Plus
© His Majesty the King in Right of Canada, represented by the Minister of Public Services and Procurement
A tool created and made available online by the Translation Bureau, Public Services and Procurement Canada
Search by related themes
Want to learn more about a theme discussed on this page? Click on a link below to see all the pages on the Language Portal of Canada that relate to the theme you selected. The search results will be displayed in Language Navigator.
- Date modified: