be of the opinion that
To write plainly and concisely, use consider that instead of the roundabout phrase be of the opinion that. Other possibilities include believe that, deem that, feel that, maintain that and think that.
- Wordy: The Minister is of the opinion that the budget is too small.
- The Minister considers that the budget is too small.
- The Minister thinks that the budget is too small.
The word “that” can often be omitted.
- The Minister considers the budget too small.
- The Minister thinks the budget is too small.
Copyright notice for Writing Tips Plus
© His Majesty the King in Right of Canada, represented by the Minister of Public Services and Procurement
A tool created and made available online by the Translation Bureau, Public Services and Procurement Canada
Search by related themes
Want to learn more about a theme discussed on this page? Click on a link below to see all the pages on the Language Portal of Canada that relate to the theme you selected. The search results will be displayed in Language Navigator.
- Date modified: