assure, ensure, insure
Assure is used in the sense of offering a guarantee or removing doubt, uncertainty or worry.
- Thanks to the new regulations, the employees’ job security was assured.
- The builder assured the homeowner that the renovations would be completed on time.
Ensure means to make sure or certain.
- To ensure that he could keep his word, the builder hired two extra carpenters.
Insure is related primarily to the field of insurance, and sometimes to preparing for the future.
- If you insure your life, you assure your family members a settlement and ensure their financial security.
- Insure (or Ensure) your future by continuing your education.
Copyright notice for Writing Tips Plus
© His Majesty the King in Right of Canada, represented by the Minister of Public Services and Procurement
A tool created and made available online by the Translation Bureau, Public Services and Procurement Canada
Search by related themes
Want to learn more about a theme discussed on this page? Click on a link below to see all the pages on the Language Portal of Canada that relate to the theme you selected. The search results will be displayed in Language Navigator.
- Date modified: