Well Written, Well Said
I want to:
Writing guides and language advice.
Dictionaries, terminology data banks and specialized publications.
Legislation, policies and guidelines on written communications and official languages.
- Canadian Geographical Names Data Base (Natural Resources Canada)
Official names of cities, towns, lakes, parks and other geographical places and their translations.
- ARCHIVED - Clear and effective communication (Translation Bureau - Government of Canada)
Tips for writing clear and effective documents.
- Gateway to English (Language Portal of Canada)
Articles on grammar, history and language, proverbs, sayings, punctuation, spelling, style, typography and vocabulary.
- Linguistic Recommendations and Reminders (Translation Bureau – Government of Canada)
Tools to help you standardize vocabulary, spelling and usage.
- ARCHIVED - List of Country Names (Translation Bureau – Government of Canada)
English-French list of country names: common and official names, inhabitant names, capitals and flags.
- Résumé Writing (Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities) (www)
Links to sites on writing effective résumés.
- Industry Canada Style Guide for Writers and Editors (PDF Version) (Help on File Formats)
Publishing basics, style, publication organization and format, writing and editing resources.
- Styles of Address (Canadian Heritage)
Guide on how to address, orally and in writing, the Royal Family, federal/provincial/territorial dignitaries, foreign dignitaries, religious dignitaries, etc.
- The Canadian Style (Translation Bureau – Government of Canada)
Guide on written English dealing with topics such as abbreviations, capital letters, italics, presenting French words in English, correspondence, etc.
- Writing Tips (Translation Bureau - Government of Canada)
Concise observations on and examples of English grammar, usage and style problems.
- Communications Policy of the Government of Canada
Policy aimed at ensuring that communications across the Government of Canada are well co-ordinated and effectively managed.
- Directive on Official Languages for Communications and Services
Government of Canada's language obligations in electronic communications (electronic bulletin boards, email, discussion forums, chat rooms and voice mail) with the public.
- Official Languages (Discover – Language Portal of Canada)
List of links to directives, legislation and other documents on the official languages, bilingualism and official language minority communities.
- Official Languages Act (Department of Justice Canada)
Full text of the Act, whose purpose is to ensure respect for English and French as the official languages of Canada.
- Site for Language Management in Canada (SLMC) (www)
Discusses Canada's geopolitical situation, Canada's linguistic history, languages used in Canada, language laws in Canada, language organizations and services, bilingualism models in Canada and throughout the world, and international treaties and language protection.