Main page content
Even experienced writers misuse these words if they are not paying close attention.
Its is the possessive form of it, and is the correct spelling if his or her can be substituted.
- Canada relies on its exports to increase its prosperity.
- The puppy chased its (his) tail until it (he) crashed into the sofa.
- My boat is fast, but its (her) jib is worn.
It’s is a contraction of it is or it has. Write it’s when it is or it has is intended.
- It’s (or It is) a miracle that Samina survived the rapids after capsizing her canoe.
- It’s a girl!
- It’s (or It has) been an exciting experience to bicycle across Canada.
Copyright notice for Writing Tips Plus
© Her Majesty the Queen in Right of Canada, represented by the Minister of Public Services and Procurement
A tool created and made available online by the Translation Bureau, Public Services and Procurement Canada