In general, use the spelling disk when you are referring to computers.
- Has your hard disk crashed again?
- The disk drive on my computer is not working.
In Canada, use the spelling disc for all other meanings.
- Samek bought dozens of compact discs at the garage sale.
- As people age, the discs in their spines become compressed.
- Some gardeners believe that shiny, spinning discs—aluminum pie plates, for instance—will frighten crows and other pests.
- Antoine and Jan were the disc jockeys at last week’s party.
In most instances, disc reflects British and Canadian usage, and disk American.
Copyright notice for Writing Tips Plus
© Her Majesty the Queen in Right of Canada, represented by the Minister of Public Services and Procurement
A tool created and made available online by the Translation Bureau, Public Services and Procurement Canada