Main page content
an abundance of
To write concisely, use the adjective many instead of an abundance of. Other possibilities include numerous, ample or abundant in.
- Wordy: The gardens include an abundance of flowers that bloom throughout the summer.
- Concise: The gardens include many flowers that bloom throughout the summer.
- Wordy: Our graduates enjoy an abundance of career options.
- Concise: Our graduates enjoy numerous career options.
- Wordy: There is an abundance of opportunities for outdoor recreation at the resort.
- Concise: There are ample opportunities for outdoor recreation at the resort.
- Wordy: Canada is a country with an abundance of mineral resources.
- Concise: Canada is a country abundant in mineral resources.
Copyright notice for Writing Tips Plus
© Her Majesty the Queen in Right of Canada, represented by the Minister of Public Services and Procurement
A tool created and made available online by the Translation Bureau, Public Services and Procurement Canada